Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Vision in White by Nora Roberts

Yeah, I picked this book up because it has a bride on the cover. What's it to you?

I had never heard of Nora Roberts before I picked up this book, but apparently I am the only one in the world who hasn't because she has over 156 published novels as well as several Lifetime Original Movies to her name. I've gotta be honest, though - she's been writing since 1981, which is 29 years, and she has over 156 novels out...that's an average of more than 5 novels per year. Really? Can anyone really do that? Quality writing? Hmmm.

Ok so I read Vision in White (stop mocking me, I hate myself for the title alone) and was pleasantly surprised - I was honestly expecting some sort of Harlequin romance novel, but it really wasn't like that at all. This was the first in the "Bride Quartet," so I imagine that 3 more books were released after this one to complete the Quartet, although I have not been able to find them yet (but yes, I do intend to). Story of 4 women (seriously, do all novels written about 4 women instantly get published? Note to self) who are childhood friends and grow up to run a wedding planning business together, each handling separate elements (one handles catering, one handles photography, another handles flowers, and the last handles the details). As I've only read one of the books I can only speculate, but I would assume that as this book was written from the perspective of one of the women, the rest of the Quartet would have 1 book written from the perspective of each of the others. It was wittier than I thought it would be. Granted, it had some of the classically annoying chick lit plotlines where the heroine gets herself into and out of trouble in a completely unrealistic manner, but it was enjoyable nonetheless - and it did manage to get me through an entire 4 hours of my flight being repeatedly delayed as I tried to get home for Christmas. So that's something.

Long story short, it was better than I had expected but I wasn't expecting much.

No comments: