Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

It just took me three tries to spell twenties. And I am in my twenties. Sad. Christmas vacay brain melt.

Sophie Kinsella (Or Madeleine Wickham depending on which of her books you're reading, Kinsella is a pen name) is like Jodi Picoult. She's not going to disappoint you. She just probably won't wow you either. You know what you're getting when you pick up one of her books. It kind of disappoints me that it's come to that with her. Confessions of a Shopaholic was so good...as were probably two out of the four books in the Shopaholic series that followed (Shopaholic...ties the Knot, takes Manhattan, and Baby, and Sister). Then there were other one-off books that were good (http://www.randomhouse.com/bantamdell/kinsella/books/ for the author's website)...and Twenties Girl falls into this category. A "one-off book that's good." It's about a young woman who is haunted by the ghost of her dead Great Aunt and as such led through a series of obstacles and mischief with the end goal of ceasing the haunting...I don't know, at a certain point, it all becomes very A+B=C. Heroine gets herself into silly mishap that she would have avoided had she had any common sense but it's a novel and she's the heroine so you let it slide. Heroine behaves like an idiot but ends up getting the handsome/smart/rich/successful/funny/caring leading man anyway just because. It all leaves me with the feeling of...could someone please write a novel out of my life so I could figure out who my leading man is and he could fall for me already? It appears to be quite easy from all these books I keep reading...

Maybe I should read different books.

Anyway this has turned out to be more about me than it is about the book so I'll end by saying this - if you're looking for something light, get at it. If you're looking for a book to change your life, you should probably move on to something else.

No comments: