Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Me & Orson Welles by Robert Kaplow

I read Me & Orson Welles over what I will call a snow day this past week - the thing is, it only snowed 2 or 3" in Columbus - the reason it was a snow day for me, though, is that it snowed about 2 feet in Washington, DC, where I was supposed to fly that day, leaving me stranded (in a sense) in Columbus, flight canceled, etc etc. No plans to speak of, so I went to the library and stocked up on a few books to get me through until I could reschedule my flight and make it home for Christmas vacation.

So I picked up Me & Orson Welles, which I really think classifies more as a novella than a novel due to how short it is, and I really thoroughly enjoyed it. It's the story of a young man who meets Orson Welles entirely by chance in New York City and has a whirlwind week basically from just being in Welles' presence. Kind of a story about what could happen from being in the right place at the right time. It's highly entertaining, energetic, and at times laugh out loud funny - which isn't something I say often of novels (or novellas, for that matter). For being such a short work, it packs a ton of drama and plot. It's not going to take you long to finish, maybe if you have to wait for a plane like I did, take it along to the airport, it will ensure that you are not tempted to drop kick small children nearby (though, sadly, I finished this book in 4 hours and didn't have it with me the next day while I actually was in the airport for 4 hours and wanted to drop kick a small child nearby).

No comments: