Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Once you read this book, every time you read or hear the title, you'll sigh.

At least I do.

I, like many other women (and possibly men, who knows), loved The Time Traveler's Wife. Loved. Wanted to snuggle with it. Stayed up late and wanted to stay in on the weekends to read it (although let's be real, I probably wanted to stay in on the weekends anyway). If you haven't read it, do. I know I was late to the party (it had already been made into a major motion picture by the time I picked it up), but it's one of those parties that I think will always be in full swing no matter what time you arrive (and it won't make you feel bad about not having a plus one. In fact, it will be your plus one). For those of you who haven't heard about it or seen the trailer for the movie (which I am going to rent the second it comes out on DVD because I missed it in theaters), this is the story of a young man (Henry) with a genetic permutation that causes him to travel through time when he is under major stress. It's involuntary, but it allows him to be present at major moments for his family that he otherwise wouldn't have been able to (such as seeing his wife when she's a young child). This fantasy of Henry's ability to time travel (or rather, inability to stop time traveling) allows Niffenegger to weave a more complex and richly detailed love story than she would have otherwise been able to.

I sometimes catch myself wondering if I've met my future husband yet. Do I already know him? Is he someone I met a long time ago and will come across again in the future? Or will he come into my life a few years from now as a stranger? Point is, I wonder what he's doing. Does he live in the same time zone as me? Is he eating dinner? Does he ever wonder who/where his future wife is, and what she's doing? Niffenegger opens up the possibility of being able to find out the answers to those questions...which, for someone (creepy?) like me, is a pretty cool idea.

No comments: