Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan

I am determined to catch up on the book blog while I am at home in Nova over the holidays. I have already been at home for 3 days and this is my first attempt, so go ahead and guess how that's going...but now that I'm actually starting, I think I will be able to follow through. Maybe. Hopefully.

Ok, so, backing up in the photo log of my iPhone, the book I last read but did not tell you about was Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan. I picked Commencement up at the library because it was in the "new fiction" section even though I'm pretty sure that was incorrect (although I'm not so curious to check it for myself). It's the story of 4 girls who meet at college (Brown) and remain friends for the rest of their lives...well, at least into their late twenties. It tells different parts of the story from each of their perspectives and gives you a really well rounded view of their friendships - the whole, and each individual relationship that makes up the whole. They aren't in a sorority (I don't think they even have those at Brown, but again, don't care enough to look it up), but that's the general feeling you get. I'm lucky enough to say that I was able to read this book from the perspective of a young woman who does have friends as close to me as the woman in this book - so I can't really say how the book would read if you didn't have those relationships - but for the people who read this blog (probably pretty much exclusively those women who care about me enough to care about my blog), I recommend it. It reminds you what you've got to be thankful for. One of the things at least. Obviously major events transpire in the book that carry the plot along, but the thing that you're left with after you've read the book is less an impression of those events and more an impression of the friendship that guided those women through them. Which is, like those friendships, a pretty great thing.

Oh, and please check the other blog for a passage from this book that I have since read aloud to multiple people.

No comments: