Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Girl who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson

Sequel to The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - very good. In my opinion, not as good as the original, but good nonetheless. I think one of the best parts of the original book was how intertwined everything/everyone was. The same plot device exists to a certain degree within this book, but not with the same intricacy, which was a bit of a disappointment. That said, though, still better than the majority of the books I've read recently. So should you read it? Yes.

The main players are back - Mikael Blomkvist and Lisbeth Salander - but while the last story focused much more on Mikael Blomkvist and his vendetta, this one is the story of Lisbeth's. I think my favorite thing about Lisbeth is just how unlikeable she is. I think she's an especially interesting female character given that she was created by a man, but I love that she is so complicated and generally just...prickly. I don't always consider myself to be the most simple or likeable person, so I found it easy to relate to Lisbeth (even though yes, I will agree she is a little more extreme than I am in pretty much every sense of the word).

I don't want to tell you too much about the plot - I want you to discover it all on your own - but basically there's a murder, someone is framed for said murder, and the whole thing winds itself up and then works itself out from there. Same pace as the first novel (extremely fast paced), same great characters, just not quite as many connection points in the web.

No comments: