Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert

Listen, Gilbert. I tried. I really did. I tried, and tried, and tried to read your sophomore novel, even while being tempted by all the other great books that are out there.

I couldn't deal with it. I don't mean to typecast you as an author, but you wrote, and we loved Eat, Pray, Love. Why couldn't you just continue in the same vein?

I couldn't finish. It's pretty rare that I leave a book unfinished. Committed (at least as far as I read) was basically a whiny account of the fact that Gilbert's lover (the man she met in EPL) was barred from entering the United States, so they had to get married to get him citizenship, a move that they never saw on their horizon previously. While plotting how they were going to pull off said marriage without being able to get him back into the US, they traveled around the world and studied marriage in different cultures around the world. That's as far as I got.

My bottom line is this -- I feel like she set out to write something when she wrote EPL. When she wrote Committed, though, I think she just set out to write anything. And there's a big difference.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

you're the only other person i know who will appreciate as much as i do that they are filming "something borrowed" on my block this week. spotted: rachel and dex walking down the street. more reports to follow ;)

love the blog. although had to skip over your "girl who played with fire" review as i am soo close to being done.love it so far. more than the first one.

i also picked up sacred hearts over the weekend and am about to start that.

finally--i recommend "shantaram". it's a big book, and def different from our usual historical, romantic, humorous, bff books but its an amazing novel.

hope you are doing well!!

Bridgee said...

Ooooh thanks for the recommendation!! I will add it to my library list! Thanks for reading, hope you're doing well too!!