Tuesday, June 1, 2010

The Brightest Star in the Sky by Marian Keyes

Long story short: I expected more from Marian Keyes.

I love Keyes' work and have read everything she's published. I was disappointed in this book. It's basically the story of the inhabitants of one apartment building - kind of the "Love Actually" of books in that you meet a cast of characters and then eventually figure out how A is related to B who is related to C, so on and so forth. Six degrees of separation, etc. It's told from the point of view of...I don't know what to call this narrator. If I were to say exactly what he/she is, I'd give away the ending of the book, so I can't do that, but basically it's a third-person omniscient narrator.

The voice of the narrator is a little too peppy/optimistic for me, especially when contrasted with the actual characters in the novel - each of whom is supremely screwed up in their own way (not at all saying this isn't realistic).

All in all, I don't think I'd recommend this book, which hurts to write about Marian Keyes. Usually her work is slightly depressing/serious but all in all optimistic...but this time the positive doesn't really outweigh the negative, both in terms of the subject matter and the writing.

Sorry, Marian.

No comments: