Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The girl who kicked the hornet's nest by Steig Larsson

I am smiling as I type this because I know what I'm about to do to you.

I think The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest was the best of the three (two that came before already reviewed on this blog). Does that mean that you have to read all three? It means you should. Could you read the second or the third without having read what came before? Yeah, if you wanted to, but why would you do that to yourself? WHY?

I picked this book up a couple of months ago when I was flying around the country interviewing to get a new job. This particular purchase happened as a result of being marooned in Minneapolis due to a tornado. Well, back it up. I guess, really, I hope they serve beer in Hell was the airport purchase. This book was purchased the next day after I had finished I hope they serve beer in Hell (hey, I spent a lot of time sitting around at airports those two days) and needed something to get me through the rest of the weekend.

Something to note about me: I need to have the option to read at all times. I can have a book with me and not WANT to read it, that's fine, but not having the option at all is torture. Another note, I was so excited to buy this book that I sprinted up the stairs at the B&N in Old Orchard (Chicago) and fell down. Smooth.

But this is about the book, not me. Side note, I wonder if I just stopped writing about books on this blog if anyone would actually notice or if I'm seriously just doing this for my own benefit.

So the book. I can't say much unless I know you've read 1 and 2. Basically, in 1, there's a bad person trying to hurt a good person. A good person helps the other good person stop the bad person. In 2, there's a bad person trying to attack the other good person (the one who helped in book 1). So, the first good person helps the second. Also in 2, a bad person tries to help the bad person hurt the good person. Now in 3, the good people are trying to catch the bad person who helped the other bad person in 2. That was extremely confusing and clearly did nothing to describe how good these books are, but it did at least demonstrate one point - these three books are interconnected. You're able to develop complex relationships with and feelings about the characters as you follow them through the three stories (am I the only one who does that?), which I think always makes things more interesting. Oh, and no, I didn't give anything away...because you're never entirely sure who's good and who's bad. Which is kind of awesome.

All three books make you think, but in a "where is this book going?" rather than a "where is my life going?" way, and sometimes that's exactly what you need. They're a great escape.

1 comment:

Molly said...

about halfway through it and LOVE it. i will be so sad when it ends. i would be further along, but this working thing has put a real wrench in my ability to devour books. darn the job.