Friday, February 12, 2010

Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos

My friend Molly recommended that I read Love Walked In while I was on vacation in Jamaica (again, please send me your recommendations, I love them!). I really enjoyed Love Walked In - it was lighthearted enough to work as a vacation read, but serious enough to not feel like I was killing brain cells by reading it.

The title says it all - it's essentially the story of how love walked into the main character's life as she just sort of went about her day the same way she always did. I hope the same thing will happen to me someday - I'm really not all about going "husband hunting" and trying to meet the love of my life. I'm more into letting it happen the natural way. I guess we'll see if someday that changes (such as, if the natural way doesn't work and I change my views on potentially not wanting to get married...ever). At first, it (love) looks exactly like she always expected it to (maybe that's how she recognized it in the first place), but then as time goes on, the greatest love in her life becomes more for an extension of the original love than for the original love itself. Love evolves - as it naturally does.

Anyway, I don't want my story to turn out quite how this story did (without giving too much away I will just say there is a child involved, we all know how I feel about children), but the idea of sort of letting love fall into your lap appeals to me (lazy). Don't get me wrong - when I find it, I'll work hard to keep it.

I will say this, though - the series of events that takes place within the book is not all that feasible, but isn't that usually the case with most dramatic events that eventually change your life? I guess it wouldn't really be worth reading a book in which everything is predictable and commonplace. Reading about situations such as this one make you think - what would I do if I were in that situation? My answer is: not what the protagonist did (which will become funny to you if you read the book).

So what would you do if the person/thing you fell in love with turned out to be/come with more than originally met the eye? I guess that's where you figure out if it was love all along. I haven't really been in one of these situations, but from my perspective, I think love would flex to accommodate and encompass everything it needed to - whereas something weaker (lust? infatuation?) would splinter and break. Maybe my answer will change someday when I meet (I just typed "meat" and it totally changed the meaning of the sentence and broke my serious mood) the person for whom my love will accommodate all things. I'll be here, looking forward to the day when that love walks in.

1 comment:

Molly said...

so glad you liked it!!! it blew me away with the freshness of the story compared to everything else I had read. AND I loved the idea that love can form out of an already established relationship!