Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

I tried to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo twice before I eventually succeeded on my third try. Why? Because the first 40ish pages are complete drivel. Well, not drivel exactly, but rather...really dry, intense financial-speak that I couldn't possibly care less about. I complained to a friend who said that I had to try to persevere and it would be worth it. And I'm here with the same advice for you.

If you liked The Da Vinci Code or other books like it, you'll like The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Same sort of suspense, same sense of mystery. You're along for the ride and trying to figure out the clues before the characters in the book. There isn't the same involvement with secret societies or ancient symbols, but the mystery is just as good. One thing I will say that was kind of funny is that the main character is a TOTAL male whore. It didn't add much to the story - for me at least - but it made me wonder if Larsson thought that it would make his book so much better if he added sexytime. Really? I guess you can't have all suspense all the time, but for me in was kind of just a distraction from the part of the story I was actually interested in. Anyway, even with the small distraction of the male slutteny, I do plan to read the sequel - The Girl Who Played with Fire and then eventually, when it comes out in May, The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest.

No comments: