Sunday, January 3, 2010

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown

I could write a very short review of this book. Basically, it's The DaVinci Code in DC. Obviously the details of the plot are very different - while this book does touch on Christian themes it has nothing to do with the search for the Holy Grail. Given that it is another novel with Robert Langdon as the main character, it spends a lot of time discussing symbology as is relates to secret societies, and given that it is set in Washington, DC, it has much to do with the government of the United States and how the aforementioned secret societies could be involved in matters of national security.

I'm not going to lie, I fall for Brown's work hook, line and sinker. I loved DaVinci Code and I may have liked The Lost Symbol even more given that it was set in my hometown. I love learning about symbology and secret societies (while Brown's plot details are fictitious, the societies and rituals he references are factual), and Brown manages to write fiction that is just as thrilling as watching an action movie. I may or may not have stayed up until 4 am last night/this morning to read this book. No, it's not as redeeming as The Help, but it's wonderful in its own way. There is a place for thrillers and heartwarmers in the book world just like there is a spot for each in the movie world, and The Lost Symbol fills its appointed place splendidly.

No comments: