Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Jemima J by Jane Green

Jemima J was recommended to me by two friends as a light, easy read. I felt, after the emotional connection that I had with American Wife, that I needed something a little lighter. Jemima J was perfect. I was actually quite pleasantly surprised - I haven't been the biggest fan of Jane Green in the past, but I figured that with the recommendations of two friends, I needed to give her another shot.

Jemima J is basically a story about first impressions and the snap judgements people generally make based off of them. I won't get into too many details, but it's entertaining, and I would recommend it for a vacation read - or a read to cure you of the emotional hangover you're having after finishing another book.

Parts of the narration are confusing - the narrator does not have a voice distinct enough from the main character for you to always know exactly who you're hearing from. Other parts of the book are a little...cookie cutter. I don't mean to downplay the book, because as I've said, it IS interesting and fun - but it's also predictable. It has all the parts necessary to make up a successful chick lit book, and at times it feels a little bit like "Insert part A into part B and you will have a good story."

Sometimes, though, there's something to be said for familiarity. You don't turn to Jane Green for thought-provoking literature. You turn to her for laughter and daydreams of prince charming...and she delivers.

No comments: