Friday, September 26, 2008

Such a Pretty Fat by Jen Lancaster

There are a few authors out there who I feel speak with the same voice that I would if I were to write a novel - among them Melissa Bank and Jen Lancaster.

Melissa Bank (A Girl's Guide to Hunting and Fishing, The Wonder Spot) speaks more with my melancholy, emo voice, whereas Jen Lancaster speaks with the voice that most of you would know - I have read her first three "memoirs" and haven't been disappointed by any of them - Bitter is the New Black; Bright Lights, Big Ass, and this, most recent one, Such a Pretty Fat.

I recommend that you read all three books, and in order, if possible, but they all tell separate stories so it is possible to read them out of order and/or only read one or two of them.

ANYWAY...Lancaster is vulgar, straightforward, and hilarious. She reminds me of the part of myself that considered putting "Direct is an understatement" as my "About Me" section of my Facebook profile. It's not so much the stories she tells as it is the way she tells them. That's not to say that the stories aren't great - but more that they aren't...out of the ordinary. Such a Pretty Fat is the story of Jen trying to lose weight and get in shape...which I think makes it a book almost any woman could relate to. Sure, maybe not all of us have embarked on months-long journies to get our health under control, but I think almost every woman I know has had a moment/day/week/month/year when she'd just LOVE to have a magic wand or a magic wardrobe to strip off the perceived extra pounds.

Here's the thing. If I don't like a book, I have plenty to say about it...but if I do, I want to pull a 3rd grade book report and say "If you want to know more, you'll just have to read it yourself."

So...go read this book. (It's a Friday. I'm lazy.)

And check out www.jennsylvania.com for a taste of this author's writing style/humor.

1 comment:

GreenApple Publicity said...

Hello! We thought you and your readers might like to receive a free full-length novel, Jumble Pie, a heartwarming story about two women, a friendship, and a pie. The author has two published novels (Penguin Putnam) and is providing this as a thank-you to readers!

Please visit http://www.melanielynnehauser.com/JumblePie to request a copy.