Friday, May 21, 2010

True Confections by Katharine Weber

I read this months ago. Literally. I'm sorry I stopped blogging for a while, but let's be real, did any of you really care? I didn't think so.

I'm gonna keep these short and sweet.

True Confections is a novel about a dysfunctional candy family. They're in the candy business - they're not made of candy. They're human. But the book probably would have been more interesting if they had been made of candy ("someone ate jimmy today").

So the whole thing is told in the form of a deposition - I liked that aspect of it. I'd never read a book written in that manner before. So that was pretty sweet (no pun intended). Basic story - candy family. Woman marries into candy family. Woman claims to be the only person who ever did any work in candy family. Woman thinks she deserves more. There's a big fire. People claim the woman started it and that it was arson. So she's defending herself.

I know I read a lot and I should have gotten over this by now, but there's almost nothing that pisses me off more than an unreliable narrator. You have to believe them. You're in a position of vulnerability - they're your only source of information. And they're going to lie to you? What's that about? Who would like that feeling?

Anyway. I don't really recommend that you read this book. I read it because it was recommended to me and there was candy involved. I just didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped to.

No comments: