Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Second Glance by Jodi Picoult

Another Picoult book...I had a few bad runs with choosing random books (don't judge a book by its cover and all that) and I had to choose one by a trusted author to get myself back on the horse.


Picoult didn't disappoint. Second Glance was an interesting read - pretty fast paced and with all kinds of things that automatically make it a good story...ghosts, mystery, romance. It's actually a pretty long novel (especially as Picoult's books run) but it really doesn't feel like it drags on. One of the things I love about this novel is that it tells a bunch of seemingly separate stories and then weaves them together towards the end - yes, with Picoult you should really know they'll all come together eventually...but this one seemed to have even more separate plotlines than I had come to expect.

As I said above, it was a good read. But it wasn't phenomenal. There are books - characters - that stay with you after you finish a book. You miss them like old friends. You want to know what's going on in their lives (is this just me? I hope not, because it's a sign of a great novel and it would be a shame if I were the only one who had experienced it). This is unfortunately not one of those books. Which may or may not be a good thing - say that you had just read one of those novels, one of the ones that stays with you - you don't necessarily want another right away...so that would be a perfect time to read Picoult.

I can't believe I'm about to say this, but...for a book about ghosts, it wasn't very haunting.

HA!

No comments: